Sunday, September 16, 2012

Goal! ... sort of.


Okay, folks, got some news for you:

I've done some reading. I've done some talking with a couple other writers. And I've done a lot of thinking (internal debating). And while I've considered that starting something new might be the way to get my head back in the writing game (see previous post), I found myself worrying about getting stuck in the middle of those stories too. Although I have every intention of getting to the first book in my firefighter series, or the stand-alone dystopian novel that came to me the other day, I know that what I really need to to is get back to From the Shadows. I need to sit myself down in front of this computer, read the last couple of pages I wrote to refresh my mind on the direction I was going, and then JUST WRITE. 

Yep, I'm talking about what a number of others have told me I should do: sit down and write even if it turns out to be crap, because you can always edit later. I've forced myself to write before with amazing results, and I think I can do it again. I've just got to get over this damn slump, and I think forcing some writing is what will do it. Well, that and setting a deadline, which I have decided to do. I actually have two deadlines in mind. The short-term deadline for release is October 11, 2012 (10/11/12)--that's just under a month away, and if I hunker down and ignore distractions, I can do it. If that one can't be met for some reason, then my long-term release date is October 31, 2012. Further motivation to get the book prepared for release no later than Halloween is the fact that another of my stories is coming out then.

That's right, I've got a Halloween release! Just in case you've all forgotten (I sure hope not!), I wrote an erotic short story which I titled The Beauty in the Black Room, about an incubus who meets his soul mate after more than six hundred years of life. Hot Ink Press is releasing the story as a part of the anthology Darkest Desires. I'm really excited because not only will the book will be available for ereaders, but also in print! Yep, for the very first time, my words will be on the printed page for the masses to hold in their hands, and I am seriously stoked to hold my very own copy--you can bet I will take a picture to show you all!

So anyhoo, I'm feeling some renewed spirit for writing. Setting a deadline will help me achieve my goal, which is to finish From the Shadows. Wish me luck!

And on a quick little side note, keep checking back for another book review. This time a contemporary romance with a suspenseful twist, The Comeback Kiss by Lani Diane Rich. I'll have the review posted in the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment