Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Planning...sorta.

To be honest, I'm not that much of a planner when it comes to my writing. I do start out with a core set of characters and a notion of what's going to happen, but I don't usually outline or plan ahead what I want to happen in each chapter. I like to do what I call "freewriting", which simply means writing the story as it comes. And for many stories that works really well, like fan fiction. Even the Shadow Chronicles books are/were written that way---though I have already foreseen that with certain other books I'm going to write, planning ahead will prove to be an invaluable thing to do. 

Tonight, however, I did a little planning ahead for From the Shadows. As you will know from a post I made a few days ago, I've five days in a row off from work coming up, and I'm planning to use that time to pound out the rest of the book. Some ideas I've been tooling around with in my head I decided to write down and set them to happening in the next couple of chapters. I think planning ahead will do me some good for the Writing Blitz by giving me a direction to focus on. I've only chapters 10 and 11 planned out so far, but knowing where I'm going to start will hopefully help me figure out where I'm going to end up.

No comments:

Post a Comment